Welcome, Guest ( Login | Register )

Website Structure Audit Report - Broken Links Details Needed
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]
pontarae

Senior

Senior
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:35 am

The Website Structure Audit Report (Detailed View) does a good job generally.
It lists page urls for Pages With Redirects, Pages With Missing Title Tags, Pages with Too Long Titles, etc.

Unfortunately it does NOT provide a detailed list of Pages With Broken Links . Nor can I find information about "broken links" or "broken links report" by searching this forum ("links" is too common a word to search for apparently).

Of course I have a client audit in progress, he has 770 broken links on his site, and a detailed list of the pages involved is essential.

Have I somehow overlooked the "Broken Links Report (Detailed View With Actual Links to the Pages!)"?

Help with extracting the information I need, or details of how to modify the report template, would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:16 pm

pontarae wrote:
Unfortunately it does NOT provide a detailed list of Pages With Broken Links .

Of course I have a client audit in progress, he has 770 broken links on his site, and a detailed list of the pages involved is essential.

Please switch to the 'Website Structure Audit Report (Detailed view)' (you can do that in the right-upper corner drop-down menu in the 'Website Report' tab).

When your report is generated, scroll it down up to the 'Pages with broken links' section.
Is that what you are looking for? :)

pontarae

Senior

Senior
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:12 am

LinkAssistant wrote:
pontarae wrote:
Unfortunately it does NOT provide a detailed list of Pages With Broken Links .

Please switch to the 'Website Structure Audit Report (Detailed view)' (you can do that in the right-upper corner drop-down menu in the 'Website Report' tab).

When your report is generated, scroll it down up to the 'Pages with broken links' section.
Is that what you are looking for? :)

Thank you, but I was and am quite capable of finding the section of the report that I described to you as part of my original help request. Formerly the Structure Audit report stated that there were 770 links broken but did not list any pages or individual broken links - not at all helpful.

Without the help of WSA, we found and corrected the main source of the broken links problem.
Now the broken link section does now show 28 broken links for a single page on the site.

Unfortunately a problem remains. The 28 broken links listed are, in fact, NOT broken. They do accurately take the surfer to the appropriate page when clicked. Additionally the report shows an "Error 403 - Forbidden Access" for each of the links. We can in fact access the links as normal.

Any thoughts as to why this 403 error might be shown when we have unimpeded access to the linked pages?

I have sent the project to Support via the help link.

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:21 pm

pontarae wrote:
Formerly the Structure Audit report stated that there were 770 links broken but did not list any pages or individual broken links - not at all helpful.

Please read our previous post carefully. :)

As we said, the info you need can be found in the 'Website Structure Audit Report (Detailed view)' .You can switch to this report in the right-upper corner drop-down menu in the 'Website Report' tab.

When the 'Website Structure Audit Report (Detailed view)' is generated, scroll it down up to the 'Pages with broken links' section.

pontarae wrote:
Any thoughts as to why this 403 error might be shown when we have unimpeded access to the linked pages?

as for this problem, the point is that your site allows only 1 query from 1 IP address at a time. If, let's say, 1 IP sends 5 simultaneous requests, it gets banned.

Hence, the software identifies those links as "broken", but they are actually working.

Try re-examining the pages of your site with just 1 query at a time, adjust the software settings as described below:

Preferences --> Misc. Global Settings --> Number of simultaneous tasks --> Number of tasks = 1

If the issue persists, please revise your server settings or ask the person/company that is in charge of the server (hosting) to do that for you.

There can be some kinds of limitations on this given server:

- number of connections in a span of time;
- number of simultaneous connections;
- number of simultaneous connections from one IP.

pontarae

Senior

Senior
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:01 am

LinkAssistant wrote:
pontarae wrote:
Formerly the Structure Audit report stated that there were 770 links broken but did not list any pages or individual broken links - not at all helpful.

Please read our previous post carefully. :)
As we said, the info you need can be found in the 'Website Structure Audit Report (Detailed view)' .You can switch to this report in the right-upper corner drop-down menu in the 'Website Report' tab.
When the 'Website Structure Audit Report (Detailed view)' is generated, scroll it down up to the 'Pages with broken links' section.

Do you have any idea how offensive you are being? Apparently not or you wouldn't do it.
---
We are now having the server settings examined and changed to reflect your advice.

As to using a single thread for querying a website of over 600 pages...
... life is too short!

I suspect that you don't use WSA for auditing sites. The product is very slow when using 5-10 threads with 10 proxies. With a single thread, and I have tried this, WSA is INTOLERABLY slow for large sites.

I would suggest that you pay attention to the performance of your product in non-trivial, real-world conditions.

Dennis Foreman

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:29 pm

pontarae wrote:
Do you have any idea how offensive you are being?

Dear Dennis, we didn't mean to be offensive. :) Please accept our apologies if we said something that could be interpreted that way. :(

pontarae wrote:
As to using a single thread for querying a website of over 600 pages...
... life is too short!

Let me please retreat that it's not the fault of the software. That's the way your website works.

Ok, let's run a very simple test: please enter your website URL drmillett.com in the browser and click F5 5-7 times in a row. At the end the browser will throw 'Forbidden access' (Flooding)' error - and that is just for 5-7 queries.

So, no matter which SEO tool you may analyze your website with, you will get the same results. That's the point. :(

P.S. As we previously said, the only solution to analyze the sites of such a type is to:

- carefully revise your server settings that way it's described in the previous post;
- run analysis at a slow pace, setting the number of simultaneous tasks to 1.

That's basically it.

Display topics from previous:    Sort by    
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]