The Only World-Standard SEO Software

SEO and Internet Marketing Forum
Welcome, Guest ( Login | Register )

Website Auditor Page Audit https issue
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]
Author Message
SEOx3

Newborn

Newborn
Posts: 3
Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:46 am

Per the recommendations from the auditor, I migrated my site from http to https last night. Everything is pointing to the new location and most of my Site Structure scans are great.

I am just now diving into the Page Audit and have chosen one page to audit for a few keywords. However, for some reason it is only seeing/grabbing the http version of that page, even though I opened up the project pointing to my https site.

After the audit runs, I get the message "The page's content is impossible to retrieve. This could be due to the page being inaccessible." When I check Page Status Code, it says "The page ... redirects via the 301 redirect"... "In order to get complete statistics for your landing page in WebSite Auditor, consider using the page the redirect is pointing to for analysis instead."

So, how do I tell the auditor to grab the https version of my page when for some reason it is only seeing the http version?

SEOx3

Newborn

Newborn
Posts: 3
Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:48 am

I have already figured this out on my own. When choosing the page, the first few links are from the http version of the site, but if I scroll down, I start to see the https versions of the same pages.

Any idea if/when these regular http pages will go away? Does the 301 redirect disappear after a while? I am currently running the following in my htaccess:

RewriteCond %{HTTPS} off
RewriteRule (.*) https://DOMAIN(COM)%{REQUEST_URI} [R=301,L]

LinkAssistant

User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 5588
Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:25 am

SEOx3 wrote:
Any idea if/when these regular http pages will go away? Does the 301 redirect disappear after a while?


The software collects and adds to your project all URLs that are found on your website. So, if there is anywhere a link to your old HTTP version (although it already has a redirect) - it will still be collected and added to the project.

You may try to create a new project exactly for the HTTPS version - if there will be no links found which would lead to HTTP pages, then you will not see them in the project.

SEOx3

Newborn

Newborn
Posts: 3
Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:29 am

I figured out how to clear up all of my 301 redirects in the auditor. On the right hand column of each redirect, you can click a menu that will show you which page the redirect is coming from. Looks like I had some absolute urls for the http version of my contact page in the privacy policy and terms of service of my site. I changed them all from http://domain(com)/contact/ to just /contact/ and the problem has gone away.

Also, I was getting a lot of 301's that were pointing to domain/?p=9 version of itself (instead of just being the post name permalink)..etc. I couldn't figure out why this was happening so I looked at the source for some of the pages that were doing this, and discovered that WordPress automatically creates rel='shortlink' links that it puts in the header with these lame ?p=# links.

No need for that!

I found a webpage that showed how to fix that issue along with removing other unnecessary wp header lins that are auto-generated. For reference: http://orbitingweb.com/blog/remove-unne ... s-wp-head/

I went with the 'create a plugin' route to keep my theme code clean. It was pretty straight forward and now I have no more 301 redirects mucking up my website audit report.

This software is AMAZING!

LinkAssistant

User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 5588
Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:57 am

Quote:
I figured out how to clear up all of my 301 redirects in the auditor. On the right hand column of each redirect, you can click a menu that will show you which page the redirect is coming from. Looks like I had some absolute urls for the http version of my contact page in the privacy policy and terms of service of my site. I changed them all from http://domain.com/contact/ to just /contact/ and the problem has gone away.
Thanks for sharing this info! It will be pretty useful for other WP users I guess :wink:

Display topics from previous:    Sort by    
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]
All times are UTC

Jump to:  


cron