Welcome, Guest ( Login | Register )

Use of Proxy Servers
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]
cyber49

Wizard

Wizard
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:42 pm

I need a total dummies guide to )Finding and implementing proxy use on SEO Spyglass".

I've used web based proxies online with browsers, and once played with a proxt extension in Firefox - foxyproxy, but never really understood how to find available proxies, how to configure, etc. -

I've never really NEEDED it until now, where frequent use of SEO spyglass (like even two reports back to back for big domains) limits me out and starts reporting (unable to get Page Rank) or whatever

Yes, i have put in both my Google API (had for years) and now a Yahoo one. (I just got a Yahoo one after following your link in the software - I think I found the right API.

I have your enterprise version, and I'm wondering if there's a way to easily solve my problem?

1. Do you think even think frequency of search is my problem?

2. If so, do you have a list of proxies and info to use?

3. Would be a really cool feature to be able to plug in multiple proxies and have the software rotate from one to the next by report, or 100 queries, or whatever.

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:27 pm

Quote:
1. Do you think even think frequency of search is my problem?
Please to avoid any frequency-of-searches problems, use human emulation instead of APIs (to enable it, go to Preferences -> Human Emulation).
Quote:
2. If so, do you have a list of proxies and info to use?
You can search in Google for "free proxy" and you'll find good lists of proxies and sufficient info.
Quote:
3. Would be a really cool feature to be able to plug in multiple proxies and have the software rotate from one to the next by report, or 100 queries, or whatever.
You won't even need a proxy usage guide because we're adding the feature you're talking about in the nearest vesion of SEO SpyGlass, and it'll be finding and using proxies automatically.

cyber49

Wizard

Wizard
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:09 pm

Ok, thank you -

sounds very cool ;)

mindquest

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:12 pm

Why would you need to use a proxy with your tools? Is it to hide your identity? never used a proxy before so very interested to hear why one is used.

cyber49

Wizard

Wizard
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:32 pm

Because both Yahoo and Google limit the number of queries from a single IP address, and will end up cutting you off. This leaves me out of luck for a few hours for even regular work - Usually Yahoo first, but then even simple one-off link research is unavailable...!

mindquest

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:39 pm

Thanks! I didn't know there were limits per IP on queries.

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:00 pm

Frankly speaking, this is not what exactly search engines do:

they don't have any limitations on queries per IP -- they just don't like too many requests within a very short period of time from one computer. The best workaround for this is to use the "Human Emulation" feature which simply makes random small delays between queries -- thus you'll stay on the safe side.

Display topics from previous:    Sort by    
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]