Track backlink changes not working as expected
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]
ddaum

Newborn

Newborn
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:07 pm

Hi,

I am not sure I understood how the feature to track backlink changes works, because what I experienced so far makes no sense and has no use to me at all. Can someone explain?

-- After initial project creation I added a bunch of known backlinks manually, which the backlink scanner did not find. They all show up with backlink status "new". - Ok.

-- When updating factors a day later, just a few links update their Last Found Date, even though the Backlink Status did not change at all. They all still show as "new" - which they aren't in my eyes. --> ???

-- Later, some links became nofollow and some disappeared. After a factors update, the Links Back column was silently updated correctly, but Last Found Date shows still the old date and backlink status still shows "new". Nothing gives me any indication that the backlinks actually disappeared. This would be the most important feature! --> ???

A day later, I decided to do a project rebuild. ALL the links that I added manually now show up as "removed" even though they are still perfectly valid, according to "Links Back"! --> ???

If the whole history tracking is just based on what the backlink database thinks is right, then this feature is pretty pointless. The databases of SpyGlass, GoogleAnalytics, and WebmasterTools have lots of crap links in there (www.fasebook.com etc.), which never existed, and about 80% of my good valid links are not yet in there. I want a history tracking that shows me changes immediately based on actual changes, ie. the Links Back column. -- Similar to how the RankTracker works.

Did I completely miss the point? Is there a workaround to track actual changes?

doug

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:17 am

The thing is that the Backlink Status and the Last found date columns shows that status of the link relative to the internal database.

In your case the New status first indicated that the backlink has just been added to the project. But when you rebuild your project the software is checking whether this link is still found in the database or not. If it is not found in the database the links receives the status as Removed.

The same is with the Last found date - this metric shows the last found date in the database.

The real status of the link is indicated in the Links Back column. It shows whether the link is still found on the page or not.

ddaum

Newborn

Newborn
Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:47 pm

Ok, thank you for the explanation, this is what I expected (and were afraid of).

Then I would like to make a feature request to have some sort of history or change notification based on the "Links Back" column.

For example a "Link Status Change" that shows "new", "removed", "became nofollow", "became dofollow", "not indexed anymore", "now indexed", etc.

Or even simpler, a "Previous Links Back Status" and a "Links Back Last Changed" column, so that I can sort by the last changed column and see immediately what changed by comparing the old link status with the current link status.

As a (pretty uncomfortable) workaround I now copy the "links back" status into the tags, then update, then compare manually to find the one's that don't match anymore.

Oh, and really cool would be a report: "Recent changes to backlink states."

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:59 am

Thanks for the feedback, I will let our analysts know about this issue and they will see into this.

Display topics from previous:    Sort by    
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]