The Only World-Standard SEO Software

SEO and Internet Marketing Forum
Welcome, Guest ( Login | Register )

Spyglass only investigates domains and not individual pages?
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]
seoseoseo

Newborn

Newborn
Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:16 pm

On the main screen when you start a project, it says you can either enter a link of a domain, or a particular page of a domain that you want to investigate. Now, the main competing website for a niche that I am looking into is a Wikipedia article. Now, I inserted the particular page into SEO Spyglass, and not the domain alone. What I inserted into it was : en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(article). However, after repeated tries, after further examining the backlinks it gives me, it's only looking for backlinks to its main domain! The main domain of Wikipedia must have hundreds of thousands referring links! Using another backlink checker service it turned out to have only around 150 backlinks, and not the thousands of backlinks that it was showing me it was investigating. I tested this out, and it seems that any individual page I try to investigate, wikipedia or not, Spyglass automatically investigates its main domain only.

Why is it that SEO Spyglass only investigates the backlinks for the domain? Isn't it supposed to investigate backlinks for individual pages and not domains if it is told to?

tung148

Newborn

Newborn
Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:55 pm

I've same problem :(

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:14 pm

Quote:
Why is it that SEO Spyglass only investigates the backlinks for the domain? Isn't it supposed to investigate backlinks for individual pages and not domains if it is told to?
To maximize the number of backlinks found, SEO SpyGlass is now using the "linkdomain" operator (and not "link" as it used to). That is why even if your enter the URL of a sub-page, the tool will nevertheless collect backlinks to all the pages of the domain.

*** This is going to be changed in one of the upcoming releases so you will be able to gather backlinks to the exact page you've indicated.

As for you case, we recommend you to find backlink sources by your keyword. Please go to 'File' - 'New Project' - select 'Enter a keyword you wish to rank well for' option - enter your main keyword - follow further wizard's instructions.

Thus the application will find your top competitor for this keyword and show where your competitor's links come from.

Thus you will find the best and relevant backlink sources your top competitor uses.

seoseoseo

Newborn

Newborn
Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:33 pm

Quote:
As for you case, we recommend you to find backlink sources by your keyword. Please go to 'File' - 'New Project' - select 'Enter a keyword you wish to rank well for' option - enter your main keyword - follow further wizard's instructions.
Apparently this isn't working so much either, I tried this out just now and it still did the same thing, it recognizes "en.wikipedia.org" as the main competitor and not the article within the domain, I hope that you fellas can fix this problem soon, because I love using Spyglass as it is an amazing tool.

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:21 am

Quote:
Apparently this isn't working so much either, I tried this out just now and it still did the same thing, it recognizes "en.wikipedia.org" as the main competitor and not the article within the domain
There are two ways to go about it.

You can either create SEO SpyGlass project for Wikipedia and add a new filtering condition to remove unneeded results from your project:

1. Right-click on the header of any column to activate the "Edit Workspace" menu
2. Click "+" to add a new filtering condition
3. Set "Anchor URL" to be equal to the URL of your page (domain.com/this-is-an-example)
4. Click "OK" to apply the changes made.

But that's quite painstaking as time-consuming and will have little effect in your case!

So we'd rather recommend you:

- to go to 'Google';
- enter your keywords;
- check who your top 5 competitors for these keywords are (excluding Wikipedia);
- create SEO SpyGlass projects for those sites.

Thus you will unearth the best backlink sources your top 5 competitors have.

P.S. As I also said, the way SEO SpyGlass finds links is going to be changed in one of the future releases so you will be able to gather backlinks to the exact page you've indicated.

joelcrane

Newborn

Newborn
Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:17 pm

my links show as spyglass links but not as google backlinks - what does that mean?

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:03 am

Quote:
my links show as spyglass links but not as google backlinks - what does that mean?
If for some of your project links you see 'SEO SpyGlass Backlink Explorer' in the 'Search Engine' column, it means that those links come from our in-house backlink database.

If you are interested to learn more about this source of backlinks, follow this link please:

https://www.link-assistant.com/support/ ... o-spyglass

schedal

Newborn

Newborn
Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:13 pm

LinkAssistant wrote:

P.S. As I also said, the way SEO SpyGlass finds links is going to be changed in one of the future releases so you will be able to gather backlinks to the exact page you've indicated.

Any update on when this will be? SEO spyglass is not very useful to me until i can search a specific page of a website and not the root of the website!

thanks.

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:00 pm

schedal wrote:
Any update on when this will be? SEO spyglass is not very useful to me until i can search a specific page of a website and not the root of the website!

Sorry but we don't have rough ETA of when we add this option. It turned out to be more difficult than we expected, as adding this feature implies the revision of our software architecture.

But hopefully our developers will find some alternative solution in the near future.

Currently you can sort out all links to a specific page using filtering conditions (see above).

:)

walnut

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:25 pm

Any update, when will this be fixed. How can you get backlinks of specific youtube video. When yu put url in it shows all kinds of links to youtube HP

This really needs to be fixed ASAP. You pay for a software and another fee for updates it should work correctly.

Display topics from previous:    Sort by    
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]