Ranktracker not returning results for Chinese keywords
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]
ad-m

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot
Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:34 pm

Hi,
I've been using ranktracker for a few months for several chinese keywords. Yesterday I noticed a problem: ranktracker does not display any results anymore for Chinese keywords.
I search Baidu and Google.cn (the Web) but after Ranktracker has completed the search/scan, there are no results next to my list of keywords. The two columns that should display the SERP results for Google and Baidu are completely BLANK!
I tried this today and yesterday, using a saved ranktracker project file for Chinese keywords in Baidu and Google.cn (the Web), but there were no results returned. I tried opening a new project, entered all the relevant info, but got the same problem.
I believe I'm using the most up-to-date version of Ranktracker (v4.17.1) and I'm paying for the professional version.

Any ideas why this is happening?
Thanks

Asiaplay

Small God

Small God
Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:15 am

Hi Ad-m,

It is not a Chinese character problem it seems...
i.e. English is also failing for SERP checking in Google (China) and Baidu (China)
Also Bing is working correctly for Chinese characters (it is returning SERP position results).

I suggest you contact link-assistant support on this problem and ask them to update the code (algro update) to fix the issue for google.cn and baidu.cn.

Cheers - Asiaplay

PS: Linky (if you read this) I get "Failed" for all Google search engines for China and for Baidu when checking SERPS also with V4.171

Output of the log details for Google China (the web), incase this helps is:-
java.net.ProtocolException: Server redirected too many times (20)

ad-m

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot
Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:56 am

Hi Asiaplay,
Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear that it's not just me, but bit worried now that this is quite serious. I need to get the SERP positions on a weekly basis, and I highly depend on Ranktracker each week for this.

I just did another ranktracker scan and checked the log file. Every single keyword returned a "Failed" message. I will contact Link assistant support immmediately.

Thanks

ad-m

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot
Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:39 am

Hi Asiaplay,
Just to let you know that I contacted Link-Assistant Support last week and they got back to me. They wrote that they would get the developers to work on this urgently and that a fix should be available by this Tuesday, two days ago.
I tried it out yesterday and Ranktracker updated itself to v4.17.4 and it worked perfectly with the Chinese search engines and keywords!
Thanks for your help, and thank you LinkAssistant for your assistance!

Asiaplay

Small God

Small God
Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:54 am

Just a quick note / update on this topic for anyone wondering why Google CHINA Search engines STILL do not return any rankings data...

i.e. Why do these following four search engine options, currently fail to return any data when selected for use, within rank-tracker
1) Google.cn (网页) (the Web)
2) Google.cn (所有中文网页) (pages in Chinese)
3) Google.cn (中文网页) (all Chinese Web)
4) Google.cn (简体中文网页) (pages in Chinese Simplified)

1.) PROBLEM CLARIFICATION:- Ok - what's the REASON for this apparent rank-tracker ISSUE? ...
As you may be aware, Google awhile ago pulled out of China to some degree (actually about the time this thread topic was opened / first raised) and therefore Goggle CHINA, "by default" automatically redirects all their google.cn search user traffic to google.co.hk HONG KONG.
Note: You can see this happening, if you go to google.cn and try to input any search keyword into google.cn keyword box i.e. as soon as you mouse click over the keyword input box, the page is auto redirected to google.com.hk (note that you will see the change in the URL, in your web browsers URL bar).

What this means is that WEB page type searches made by users of Google CHINA, are presently ALL queried / redirected / done on Google HONG KONG.
Note: search types apart from WEB pages, can be done within Google China i.e. on google.cn / CHINA instead of being redirected (e.g. search pages to find ONLY music, products, images, video etc.), by clicking on one of the three lower links on the google.cn page instead of the keyword search box, as a first step
i.e. assuming a user does not first try to do a WEB pages google search first, causing them to get redirected to google.com.hk, then they could in theory use CHINA based search results for those other types of search (but NEVER for WEB PAGE Google page type searches).
However, please note that rankings position is always based on WEB PAGE searches (and the other search page types are not used within rank-tracker - so outside of this discussion, can essentially be ignored).

2) SUGGESTED SOLUTION FOR CHECKING CHINA RANKINGS DATA
Therefore, to check your rankings for CHINA (or search volumes for KEI), I suggest that in Rank-tracker, you use the search engine for HONG KONG i.e. Google.com.hk (简体中文网页) (simplified Chinese page), as the basis for rank tracking or keyword search volume research for CHINA.

The logic behind choosing this GOOGLE HONG KONG based search engine option, as the basis for CHINA (rather than for example ALL CHINESE - Google.com.hk (所有中文網頁) [pages in Chinese]), for any of those not savvy on Chinese language... is that CHINA alone uses, "Simplified Chinese", while Hong Kong and Taiwan Search users, use "Traditional Chinese" characters (i.e. by default, by far the majority of "Simplified Chinese" searches done on google.com.hk, therefore,should be coming from CHINA search users... the only other country which in theory could be using simplified chinese is Singapore, but those users, would predominantly use google.sg and data from them would therefore not show up in google hong kong results) - also they would generally use a different web browser locale than China users.

I hope this helps anyone who has been wondering why CHINA Google search engines failed to give data when used in rank-tracker... and been wondering what to use instead.

Cheers - Asiaplay

PS: DISCUSSION FOR INTEREST - POTENTIAL ISSUES
Please note that there are three potential interesting issue for checking your ranking position results, using Google HONG KONG (as the basis to know your rank within Google CHINA)
1) You might actually rank "higher" than it appears, due to blocked websites
i.e. some of the sites listed / shown within the Google Hong Kong results, are actually Government blocked by the great China firewall, for users within CHINA.
What this means is that your actual rank for CHINA based users, could actually sometimes be HIGHER, than that shown on the google results page (and therefore in rank-tracker), due to some of those results although being present in the google results page, do not actually open / resolve when clicked on by a person based within China.
i.e. your rank could be higher than that shown, if you remove / do not count the sites which do not resolve

2) Some Search types might be done on Google.cn pages and therefore not show in Google Hong Kong search volume data
i.e. as discussed above only WEB page search type users (or those who do not click on the 3 small links on google.cn page) will result in search volumes data for google Hong Kong.
e.g. search volumes for people searching for music keyword, MUSIC page type search queries done on Google China, I suspect will not appear in google Hong Kong search volumes (and search volumes done on those google China pages actually might be higher than those done as WEB page type searches).

3) Cases where the Chinese characters / keyword is written the same in Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese
In theory a users web browser "locale" is what is used as the basis to decide if the search was being done in Simplified Chinese or Traditional Chinese, so therefore, this should correct most of the data problems that could exist for keywords which are the same in Simplified and Traditional Chinese.

... minor issues perhaps, but an interesting thing to keep in mind when you are doing CHINA keyword analysis using Google.

Display topics from previous:    Sort by    
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]