Ranktracker does not accept Chinese characters
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]
ad-m

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot
Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:50 pm

Hi,

when using ranktracker to find our position in Google (China or Hong Kong) and Baidu for our chinese keywords, I have a major problem.

First I enter my website URL. Then the preferred search engines from under the Chinese flag.

Then in step three I try to enter the keywords. I copy and paste them in from a text document. But the characters do not appear. Instead there is just a series of small boxes. Weird.

I'm using Windows 7 on an English OS. I have seen the same on Vista. But it works when i tested it on a Chinese OS. However I don't want to purchase a Chinese OS simply to use Ranktracker. Is there a way I can get this to work on an English OS?

Please help. It's really a nuisance

And I'm using Ranktracker professional, btw.

Asiaplay

Small God

Small God
Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:58 pm

Hi Ad-m,

Welcome - it is great to see another user of link-assistent tools doing Asian / Chinese SEO :)

In regards to your question...
There is no need to use a Chinese Operating System (i.e. Chinese version of MS Chinese Windows).
You can just change your MS English Windows Language options, so that Chinese (also Korean, Japanese and other Asian languages) will show up correctly.

Namely:-
The best option is to set your WINDOWs "Regional Language" Options to use "Singapore" (this keeps your windows system in English - but allows for Chinese & other Asian characters to show up).

i.e. Start (Windows Start bottom left on your screen) --> Control Panel --> Regional & Language Options --> Regional Options (Tab)... set the dropdown to use "Chinese (Singapore)"

Remember to also under the "Languages" (Tab) to tick the box (or you want to use Thai or other right to left languages)... and also to click on details button (and add a Chinese input method e.g. Pinyin, US Keyboard).

This way, your Windows operating system will be in English (but you can see Chinese characters when they are input or used in software on your computer).

Cheers - Asiaplay

PS: if you really want to keep your system for Admin Windows User profile - so it 100% uses English (US or GB) then the alternative solution / option is to add a NEW Windows User... and then set that NEW User to use "Singapore" (yes, different windows users can use different regional settings in theory) - then login as this NEW User on MS Windows each time you want to use Chinese or Asian text (otherwise for English / Latin, then just use your exisiting Windows User Account).

ad-m

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot
Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:22 pm

Hi Asiaplay,
Changing the language settings in the control panel worked perfectly! Thank you
Of course, I will switch back to US or UK English each time after I have used ranktracker.

Thanks again!

hfjzmn

Newborn

Newborn
Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:14 am

I think I was in constant switching work ...

Red

Wizard

Wizard
Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:13 pm

Anyone stumbling across this who is suffering the same issue might find my thread
Re.link assistant + language integration quite useful here:https://seo-forum.link-assistant.com/need-a-way-use-chinese-chars-to-find-sites-by-keyword-search-t14724.html

Display topics from previous:    Sort by    
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]