The Only World-Standard SEO Software

SEO and Internet Marketing Forum
Welcome, Guest ( Login | Register )

Post your ideas and we'll put them on our TODO list!
New Topic Add Reply
Page 8 of 11 [ 106 posts ]
beans

Newborn

Newborn
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:10 am

I would Like request I month trial key for link assistant and website auditor.
I currently use PT and SG enterprise and wish to evaluate the full suite integrated prior to purchase.

My list of suggestions:

ability to add custom filters/columns to workplaces.

Greater control of reports, control which data to include, or reports based on work spaces. ie only search engine x, only top 10 placements. I find some clients overwhelmed by all encompassing port.

Use OS file dialogue window. Currently when navigating to folder the file name disappears.

adez7

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:00 am

I have been using all your tools for several years now, and can't tell you how much I appreciate the versatility and power you have programmed into these fabulous resources. I am an old software engineer with many years of varied computer experience behind me, so I know where of I speak.

I would like to request for starters that one would be able to Minimize Rank Tracker when it is doing a look up on selected keywords. In one of my projects for one of my sites I have about 5000 keywords and phrases that I like to check one SE at a time. It takes anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes depending, but when in this mode RT takes over the screen and I can't get to anything in back of it. SO allowing one to minimize the software no mater what chore it is doing would be my first request.

I will consider more things to add shortly. Personally I don't know how anyone can do without LinkTracker or RankTracker, as I feel they are the best that there is anywhere.

My hat is off to you.
Don :)

pagetraffic

Newborn

Newborn
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:34 am

Most of the ranking software has one flaw:

They get rankings from search engines based on results from 1 to 100 in one page rather than 1 to 10 which naturally human being search and is default in most of the search engines.

For example a search result with 1 to 10 showing on first page and 1 to 100 results showing will always through different rankings. This way the results are not same when client checks it.

I did checked Rank Tracker few months back and found same issues. We tried many ranking software and most had same issues. The rankings which you see are not the rankings which software reports (not even close) However the only software which is very close to reporting real rankings is Advanced Web Rankings. If Rank Tracker can have a feature like this where single request can fetch results from 1 to 10 instead of 1 to 100, I will definitely move to it and will recommend the same to everyone as well!

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:18 am

Quote:
I did checked Rank Tracker few months back and found same issues. We tried many ranking software and most had same issues. The rankings which you see are not the rankings which software reports (not even close) However the only software which is very close to reporting real rankings is Advanced Web Rankings. If Rank Tracker can have a feature like this where single request can fetch results from 1 to 10 instead of 1 to 100, I will definitely move to it and will recommend the same to everyone as well!
You know, you are wrong now 8) We are checking the results viewing results 1 to 10 exactly, by default. In Rank tracker you can go to Preferences -> Rank checking precision -> Rank Checking method and select one of the three options - successive search (1 to 10 just as you say), last found position, or 100 results per page. Successive search is there by default, so Rank Tracker shows exactly the results that the clients see.

2 All: Thanks for writing here, we read it all ;)

iminc

Newborn

Newborn
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:13 pm

Ranktracker

I would like to be able to copy a set of keywords to multiple sites that are already in a project.

Thanks!

MKo

Newborn

Newborn
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:39 pm

Again thanks for opportunity test your suite. My impression is positive. What I was missing - and I hope I have not missed this feature if implemented - was possibility to get at an overview of entire website presentation.

Consider situation you have a new customer and you would like to do a deep scan of their web presentation for mechanical SEO aspects - so you run a crawler which checks and creates reports for:
  • duplicate page titles
  • duplicate content (two or more URLs pointing to the same content)
  • canonical redirects
  • duplicate meta descriptions (and meta keywords)
  • list of HTTP redirects
  • 404s: broken internal links, images, linked files ...., unexpected HTTP status codes
  • missing 'alt=' and 'title='
  • list of all external links with anchor texts, with nofollow indication
  • list of all internal links with anchor texts, with nofollow indication
  • H1,H2 ... usage, are they used correctly? (e.g. 10-times H1 on one page)
  • List of web site's URLs with PR and indication whether are indexed by SEs
at the end you will have a clear picture to the web site.

Maybe based on database created during web site scan you can create a sitemap, to show website 'directory' structure + indication what has been blocked by rules in the Robots.txt. And I guess much more ...

regards
Martin

Last edited by MKo on Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bill

Newborn

Newborn
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:56 pm

By far the most important thing you can do is to fix up what is already there before adding new stuff. I've been using all 4 programs for 2 months and there are so many things that don't work (or only partially work) I hardly know where to start, but the lock-ups and 'hangs' are definitely the #1 problem. Improve stability and fix the crashes and 'hangs'. You also should be able to minimize the apps when they are working. Also, the progress indicators are not at all accurate. It would be nice if the progress indicators would tell the difference between when the app has hung, and when it's just taking a long time. Also, provide better documentation that explains about the things only work a certain way, under certain circumstances.

Also, provide a better step by step guide on how to use each of the applications, especially with link-assistant. I don't need another guide on seo theory, but show how to use the software. The link-assistant UI is confusing and the user has to zig-zag around between different tabs, menus, and processes; with no road map. And by the way, why doesn't 'Show All' dropdown list actually show all. One would think that 'show all' would mean 'all'??

Also, the whole proxy thing is really a mess, and the API key thing is a mess too. If the free proxies really don't work for anything but testing on a small scale, why don't you just say so. After 2 months of pretty regular use, I still don't know if I'm going to have to buy proxies or not. Maybe there should be a chart that says how many IPs to buy, based on a certain number of searches per day, or based on some other criteria that you also fail to mention? If the ajax api key is so limited that it is only good for small-scale or testing, why not just say so. And please provide some separation between your promotional material and your actual product documentation. The product documentation should tell users what they will have to do to to actually use the software on a typical site, and not be filled with the promotional material that just touts all the features without explaining how and when to use them.

I'll stop here with the suggestions because despite the problems, I do really like the software. It is filled with so many great ideas. Please fix what is already there and it could be the finest seo software anywhere.

pagetraffic

Newborn

Newborn
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:06 pm

Quote:
Quote:
You know, you are wrong now 8) We are checking the results viewing results 1 to 10 exactly, by default. In Rank tracker you can go to Preferences -> Rank checking precision -> Rank Checking method and select one of the three options - successive search (1 to 10 just as you say), last found position, or 100 results per page. Successive search is there by default, so Rank Tracker shows exactly the results that the clients see.

2 All: Thanks for writing here, we read it all ;)
Yes you are right!
I downloaded the software and checked. Here is my list of features for Rank Tracker:

a. ability to generate xls and pdf reports in professional version (the way Advance Web Rankings has)
b. Ability to import reports/data from other ranking software (common format will be AWR, WPG, CSV etc) AWR offers it as standard and we currently using it for all the reports management.
c. Various options/format for rank reporting They also have quite a few rank report formats which are nice.

pagetraffic

Newborn

Newborn
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:07 pm

Quote:
Consider situation you have a new customer and you would like to do a deep scan of their web presentation for mechanical SEO aspects - so you run a crawler which checks and creates reports for:
  • duplicate page titles
  • duplicate content (two or more URLs pointing to the same content)
  • canonical redirects
  • duplicate meta descriptions (and meta keywords)
  • list of HTTP redirects
  • 404s: broken internal links, images, linked files ...., unexpected HTTP status codes
  • missing 'alt=' and 'title='
  • list of all external links with anchor texts, with nofollow indication
  • list of all internal links with anchor texts, with nofollow indication
  • H1,H2 ... usage, are they used correctly? (e.g. 10-times H1 on one page)
  • List of web site's URLs with PR and indication weather are indexed by SEs
at the end you will have a clear picture to the web site.

Maybe based on database created during web site scan you can create a sitemap, to show website 'directory' structure + indication what has been blocked by rules in the Robots.txt. And I guess much more ...
I endorse Martin's idea too!

Ale

Newborn

Newborn
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:23 pm

Tested Rank Tracker today (first time user), comments:

- The first thing I want to do for a website is keyword research and this is, for a first time user, hidden inside the Ranktracker tool (given you have 4 tools to choose from). This could either be made more obvious inside the tools or there could be a separate tool for keyword research. Or rename Rank Tracker.

- Within Rank Tracker the keyword research tool is set up to allow you to discover new keywords and check your ranks for those keyword. For the website I am optimizing, I would like to keep my keyword research separate from my rank tracking. After selecting from the suggested keywords, rank tracking can be by-passed by clicking 'finish' instead of 'next' but that doesn't seem logic at first.

- In the workspace 'Keyword Research' I would like to see indicated what database was used to retrieve the search count and thus the KEI, otherwise it could be a mix of datasources (Wordtracker, Keywordspy, Google Adwords) and the user may not be aware of it. This helps spotting any anomalies and double checking those manually.

- Why have a different project for each page in my website. I will want to check my ranks for many pages on different keywords from my one big list, preferably all grouped together.

- Your comparison chart for RT has: 'Copy Your Data To A Spreadsheet For Analysis', YES for the free edition, in fact a message comes up saying 5 records are allowed, this should be mentioned on your website. It makes me wonder if there are any limits in the professional edition for exporting vs the enterprise edition...

Comments for the whole suite:
Search Safety Settings: I suggest having a way of changing this in a central place for all four tools, especially needing to search or update the list of proxies in each tool separately.
In fact, a way of bringing the tools together for those that own more than one would be a good idea, say a central control window to change overall settings and tab between tools in the same screen. Now having all these windows open and clicking between them is user unfriendly. Some windows you can't minimize when the tool is retrieving data.

thanks for great tools and offering licenses for testing.

Display topics from previous:    Sort by    
New Topic Add Reply
Page 8 of 11 [ 106 posts ]