Welcome, Guest ( Login | Register )

Overture Down... for good??
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]
crazyoval

Small God

Small God
Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:01 am

Hi guys, Ive not got any response from Overture for a day and Ive done a search and discovered its past has equally been flaky, and its future seems perhaps even more so.

See:

http://www.slowseo.com/blog/overture-down-again-1.html

Im wondering if Yahoo will start charging for access, particularly non-human access such as Link Assistant. :cry:

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:35 pm

Quote:
Im wondering if Yahoo will start charging for access, particularly non-human access such as Link Assistant. :cry:
1) Though we may have our own thoughts on this, nobody except Yahoo! experts knows the future of Overure Keyword Selector Tool for sure. :?

2) Everything people post in their blogs are just personal opinion of these people. As you can see, that post was written on January 26, 2007. After that Overture got fixed and has been working as usually for more than half a year.

So, we may just hope that Overture Keyword Selector Tool will be fixed ASAP. :?

Last edited by LinkAssistant on Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crazyoval

Small God

Small God
Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:51 pm

Are there any contingencies for Rank Tracker using it for KEI calculations?

crazyoval

Small God

Small God
Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:11 am

Here's an interesting selection of postings at Yahoo inc some alternatives although the few Ive tried have human checkers on them so no good for applications.

If I had a resource such as a word checker I would license access to it for applications, perhaps they do already. Sure that would mean the LA team would have to pay, and the fee would be transferred to users but if we are seeing the end of free access then so be it.

However as LA says above, Overture has done this before so who knows if it will be turned on again.

Rather unprofessional in my opinion, they should sort out what they are doing and act like a company, mucking everyone around like this even as free users is no good for their reputation. and there are alternatives such as http://www.keyworddiscovery.com/search.html
that say they provide the search across multiple search engines...

.. Im also wondering what it takes to become one of these search providers too... LA?

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:37 pm

We're looking for all possible alternatives to make RT working again.
Quote:
If I had a resource such as a word checker I would license access to it for applications, perhaps they do already. Sure that would mean the LA team would have to pay, and the fee would be transferred to users but if we are seeing the end of free access then so be it.
Unfortunately according to our analisys this step might be a way too expensive for our users (one month of such a service might cost even more than the Rank Tracker application itself). :(
Quote:
and there are alternatives such as http://www.keyworddiscovery.com/search.html that say they provide the search across multiple search engines...
As I already mentioned above, we're looking for alternatives right now, and the one we're going to add in the nearest future is Wordracker. Hope you'll like it.
Quote:
.. Im also wondering what it takes to become one of these search providers too... LA?
Interesting suggestion, thanks! :!: We haven't really thought of this, since this requires TOO much resources :shock: , but now I think we need to analyze this suggestion once again. 8)

crazyoval

Small God

Small God
Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:05 pm

Quote:
Interesting suggestion, thanks! We haven't really thought of this, since this requires TOO much resources , but now I think we need to analyze this suggestion once again.
seems like there are more than a few players with the ability to do this search now.. so if they can...

Wordtracker would be good, but I thought it was a subscription service or free if you submitted your email.. I look forward to the results :lol:

crazyoval

Small God

Small God
Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:10 am

I thought in the context of this discussion it would be interesting to post the following image of how two different keyword search databases pick up different results. Take a look at this below.

Keyword Discovery state they collect "search term data from over 200 search engines world wide. As a result we have the largest keyword database that contains over 36 billion searches".

Whilst Word Tracker state, "Wordtracker periodically compiles a database of over 330 million search terms which is updated on a weekly basis. All search terms are collected from the major metacrawlers - Dogpile and Metacrawler".

So, I guess the more sarch engines & metacrawlers you gather from the more sarches you are going to uncover for each keyword phrase.

This clearly would make a significant difference to any decision making about moving into specific markets. What do you think?

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:46 pm

Overture Keyword Selector Tool is up and running again -- feel free to check KEIs for your keywords again. :D :D :D

P.S. we'll be looking for an alternative way to get "number of searches" anyway

crazyoval

Small God

Small God
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:33 pm

Thanks LA, although Im noticing different search results via browser access to RT access so Im not so sure Im going to trust Overture right now.....

(the search royalty free music shows 6964 searches in Jan 07 but via Rank Tracker it shows 0)

Are they now targetting applications?

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:42 pm

Quote:
Are they now targetting applications?
1) NO

2) Even if they were, Rank Tracker is made to behave EXACTLY as a browser, so they'd never recognize Rank Tracker as an application.

3) This seems to be a usual Overture's time out. Try to get this info once again by clicking "Refresh KEI" -- this should help.

Display topics from previous:    Sort by    
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]