Welcome, Guest ( Login | Register )

OVER-optimization
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]
driansmith

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot
Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:41 pm

OVER-optimization: Anyone any experience of this?
Where your page was over-optimized in some way (as analysed by Webite Auditor), so you went ahead and reduced the occurence of the keywords (wherever they were) and BANG! you achieved better rankings.

I am intrigued by any real experiences of this.

Regards

Ian

driansmith

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot
Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:34 pm

So, it seems no-one has ever produced an increase in rankings by reducing the level of optimization in their web page.
Interesting.

seosean

Wizard

Wizard
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:24 am

Hi driansmith,

Yes, I've had that happen before. Usually over-optimization is the cause of your site looking to spammy. And what I mean by that is in an effort to reduce spam and people gaming the system Google and other search engines have limits to the amount optimization of specific things. For example keywords in the title tag, if you place the same keyword a ton of times in your title tag this could be seen as "keyword stuffing" and thus you could also look at that as "over-optimization" but search engines know that if a web page has this it's most likely someone trying to game the system.

So you could say optimization is on a circular scale going from poor to good and then if you go past good you come back to poor.

InternetDominus

Wizard

Wizard
Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:54 am

I had the same experience, but was not using Website Auditor, but another program.

Once about two years ago my homepages Keyword density was about 8% today is about 3.5% and when at 8%, my site was going down from 1st position to 10th, then started reducing density to 3.5%, and I went back to 1st position for a while.

Then, came the purchased links problem. I started losing positions again, and as soon as I stopped paying for incoming links, I went back to 1st position.

These days , I run between 1st and 5th position most of the time.

Display topics from previous:    Sort by    
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]