Welcome, Guest ( Login | Register )

New Feature: API Carriers over to other Projects
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]
BILZ

Guru

Guru
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:09 pm

When i enter the Google or Yahoo API in Rank Tracker, it only saves it for that specific project. If I open another project/domain I have to re-enter the API info. This will be very tedious for me since I am monitoring nearly 60 domains.

Please add the feature that the API only needs to be entered once and will be applied to all of the projects/domains being monitored.

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:14 pm

Quote:
Please add the feature that the API only needs to be entered once and will be applied to all of the projects/domains being monitored.
Thanks for the suggestion.

However, there's one big problem with one API key for all 60 projects. This problem is that Google allows you to do maximum 1,000 queries a day for one API key. That means that for an average site you can get rankings for about 200-300 keywords.

The question is: do you have only 300 keywords for ALL your 60 projects (i.e. not more than 5 keywords in each project?) Is it enough for you?

BILZ

Guru

Guru
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:28 pm

It is likely that all of my projects would exceed the limit of 1000 queries that the API limits. It would be my guess that most of the people who use your software are not managing this many keywords/domains so exceeding the limit may not be a problem for most of your users.

To overcome this problem for users with too many keywords/domains, the software could apply the API to all projects, and when the 1000 query limit is exhausted - the software could then switch to the "manual / human emulation" to check the rest of the rankings

Doing this would greatly decrease the amount of time it takes to check the rankings - since the API returns the rankings results much faster - speeding the entire process.

Another nice feature would be to allow for mulitple APIs - this way if i have more than 1 google API, i could have more than 1000 queries.

I actually have 2 Google APIs. If the software supported it, i could have 2000 queries per day. - which should be able to handle all of my projects.

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:54 pm

Sounds reasonable, thanks. We'll try to add such a feature (though I can promise now how soon it'll be added).

P.S. ...don't forget that results you get via Google API might be slightly different from the real SERPs.

BILZ

Guru

Guru
Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:09 pm

Quote:
P.S. ...don't forget that results you get via Google API might be slightly different from the real SERPs.
True, the API sometimes produces different results, But also keep in mind that the "real SERPs" can produce varying results depending on which datacenter is feeding the results.

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:08 pm

Quote:
... But also keep in mind that the "real SERPs" can produce varying results depending on which datacenter is feeding the results.
:D Sure, we do remember this.

Thanks.

Display topics from previous:    Sort by    
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]