Welcome, Guest ( Login | Register )

Link Assistant Eval Issues
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]
inboulder

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot
Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:01 am

I'm currently evaluating the trial version and I had a few issues I hope someone can help with.

Yahoo link searching support doesn't seem to work for me, it appears broken.

To recreate:
find new link partners
search for...
find sites that link
enter url: 4tests.com/exams/examdetail.asp?eid=6
select just yahoo!
no scan depth
select all under 'get addition partner info'
select 'google pr' on popularities
after it tries I get -'no links found' can't use yahoo search engine
or sometimes it finds 8 links or if I allow duplicates it find 60, it should find over 300.
(I have API keys set for yahoo and google)

Btw - could someone help explain 'allow duplicates', it doesn't seem to actually correspond to dupes?

It should return over 300 links:
link: 4tests.com/exams/examdetail.asp?eid=6
returns
1 - 10 of about 358 for link: 4tests.com/exams/examdetail.asp?eid=6 - 0.11 sec. (About this page)

This is probably a deal breaker, as yahoo shows the most links and this is my main way to find who to ask for links. MSN and google seemed to work ok, although sometimes the description and page title doesn't show up even when there is one on the site?

The second issue is that I can't seem to figure out how to import plain text links 'partners' correctly. If I paste a them line by line for example:
arthur.k12.il.us/highschool/studentresources/
.testprepreview.com/compass_practice.htm
cms.k12.nm.us/teachers/index.html
hpsd.k12.ms.us/portal/Default.aspx?tabid=109
medford.k12.or.us/Page.asp?NavID=370
.pccua.edu/PCCUA%20Site%20map.html

and do an import it imports just the domain stubbs, and doesn't preserve the 'page to check' or whole URL, which is vital because I use it in the link request email, and also to check the page. How can I import links from SEO Elite, or my own excel sheets successfully retaining info? (note seo elite doesn't output the stubb domain, so trying to recreate the linkassistant xml format would require a lot of work)

The 'partner email' finder seems pretty basic, it doesn't dig around very much and isn't aware of webforms (which is what appear on about 20% of sites), are there plans for improvements in the area (I know this is a tricky one)

Also, is there a way to quickly open a 'page to check' link in the system browser (not the inbuilt one) from the UI? Currently all I can find to do is copy and paste (after a bunch of clicks) the 'page to check' url, which is pretty slow when trying to check hundreds of them.

Any help would be much appreciated, I'm sure some of these issues are just me not being familiar with the program, I really hope I can use Link Assistant, I just need to get these issues sorted out.

Cheers,
Kyle

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:43 am

Kyle, sorry for the delay, our development team has been adding some features to LinkAssistant according to your requests.
Quote:
Yahoo link searching support doesn't seem to work for me, it appears broken.
Seems like you're using NOT the latest version of LinkAssistant. Please feel free to download the latest version - this should definitely help.

And one more thing: please do not use the "link:http://www.some_domain.com" command for Yahoo - use "linkdomain:www.some_domain.com" instead :)
Quote:
Btw - could someone help explain 'allow duplicates', it doesn't seem to actually correspond to dupes?
I can :wink: If you don't use allow duplicates, then no two or more partners with the same domain will ever get into your list of partners - otherwise you can have more than one link partner with the same domain (but probably different link pages) in your main partners list.
Quote:
sometimes the description and page title doesn't show up even when there is one on the site?
Could you gimme an example of such a partner (I mean please name this partner's domain) - I'm almost sure this is impossible, but would like to carefully test this situation and fix it if it's true.
Quote:
The second issue is that I can't seem to figure out how to import plain text links 'partners' correctly. If I paste a them line by line for example:
arthur.k12.il.us/highschool/studentresources/
pccua.edu/PCCUA%20Site%20map.html

and do an import it imports just the domain stubbs, and doesn't preserve the 'page to check' or whole URL, which is vital because I use it in the link request email, and also to check the page. How can I import links from SEO Elite, or my own excel sheets successfully retaining info? (note seo elite doesn't output the stubb domain, so trying to recreate the linkassistant xml format would require a lot of work)
Fixed! :D (this is the feature we have added right now). Now you can import whole URLs - everything should work just as you were expecting. The only thing you need is to check a newly-added check-box "Use this URL as your pages to check".

The only thing you need is to download the new fixed version of LinkAssistant :)
Quote:
The 'partner email' finder seems pretty basic, it doesn't dig around very much and isn't aware of webforms (which is what appear on about 20% of sites), are there plans for improvements in the area (I know this is a tricky one)
Yes, the next 3.0 version of LinkAssistant (which should come out pretty soon) will contain A LOT of improvements and absolutely new features - and email finder is definitely one of the things to be greatly improved.
Quote:
Also, is there a way to quickly open a 'page to check' link in the system browser (not the inbuilt one) from the UI?
Plese use SHIFT + Click to open a web page into your external browser.

--
Hope this helps,
Linky

inboulder

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot
Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:20 am

Quote:
Kyle, sorry for the delay, our development team has been adding some features to LinkAssistant according to your requests..
Thanks for the quick response.
Quote:
And one more thing: please do not use the "link:http://www.some_domain.com" command for Yahoo - use "linkdomain:www.some_domain.com" instead :)
linkdomain only works for domains, how would one find all the links to a specific page using yahoo? e.g linkdomain:4tests.com/exams/examdetail.asp?eid=6 does not work, since its not at the root level.
Quote:
Could you gimme an example of such a partner (I mean please name this partner's domain) - I'm almost sure this is impossible, but would like to carefully test this situation and fix it if it's true.
I think I might have been confused about this as I can't reproduce it. Do you think you could add the page <title> to the info collected, this is often present and more useful than the meta-description?
Quote:
Yes, the next 3.0 version of LinkAssistant (which should come out pretty soon) will contain A LOT of improvements and absolutely new features - and email finder is definitely one of the things to be greatly improved.
Cool, any ideas on a timeline for when it might be out?
Quote:
--
Hope this helps,
Linky
Definitely a big help, have you checked out some of the other issues we posted in the next thread?
Thanks again,
Kyle

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:49 am

Quote:
linkdomain only works for domains, how would one find all the links to a specific page using yahoo? e.g linkdomain:4tests.com/exams/examdetail.asp?eid=6 does not work, since its not at the root level.
Yes, sure. I didn't mean you should use it for pages.
Quote:
I think I might have been confused about this as I can't reproduce it. Do you think you could add the page <title> to the info collected, this is often present and more useful than the meta-description?
<title> is being collected - in LA it is called "Partner Name" (a bit confusing, I know - we'll fix that)
Quote:
...any ideas on a timeline for when it might be out?
As soon as it will be 100% ready. It could have been out already - but it will contain SO many new features and improvements that it took more time for us than we thought to implement all that stuff :(
Quote:
...have you checked out some of the other issues we posted in the next thread?
Sure we have! To be honest, your questions are a tough nut to crack :wink: We're sitting here trying to imagine how the things you're asking for could be implemented :D Frankly speking, this tool wasn't initially developed as a tool allowing many people to work concurrently.

Anyway, I will answer all the questions from that post a bit later, OK?

inboulder

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot
Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:59 am

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
...have you checked out some of the other issues we posted in the next thread?
Sure we have! To be honest, your questions are a tough nut to crack :wink: We're sitting here trying to imagine how the things you're asking for could be implemented :D Frankly speking, this tool wasn't initially developed as a tool allowing many people to work concurrently.

Anyway, I will answer all the questions from that post a bit later, OK?
Sounds good, thanks again for the quick response. As far as the concurrency goes, I'm not really requesting anything fancy, a simple copy-paste function that actually copied the full 'partner' record would suffice, anything else would just be gravy. In the same way that you can copy excel rows from one workbook to another, copying partner rows from one project to another would be a good step.

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:02 pm

Quote:
As far as the concurrency goes, I'm not really requesting anything fancy, a simple copy-paste function that actually copied the full 'partner' record would suffice, anything else would just be gravy. In the same way that you can copy excel rows from one workbook to another, copying partner rows from one project to another would be a good step.
We see a couple of BIG problems here - and probably the major one is:

what if two different users (working with the same project) do different things for the same partner? For example, you've got a parter "www.my_partner.com" - and one of the LA users moved this partner into the category named "My Favourite Link Partners", and the other user put the same partner into the "I Hate This Link Partners" category.

Now they're trying to import (or copy) this partner from one project to another. What shouldLinkAssistant do? Should it simply copy and re-write the data, or perhaps it should ask which one of two different partners (i.e. the same partner with different properties) to leave, or perhaps you'd like to leave some fields (e.g. category and partner description), but re-write all the others (status, partner name, partner email, etc)

Could you tell me your vision of this problem?

inboulder

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot
Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:51 pm

Quote:
Quote:
As far as the concurrency goes, I'm not really requesting anything fancy, a simple copy-paste function that actually copied the full 'partner' record would suffice, anything else would just be gravy. In the same way that you can copy excel rows from one workbook to another, copying partner rows from one project to another would be a good step.
We see a couple of BIG problems here - and probably the major one is:

what if two different users (working with the same project) do different things for the same partner? For example, you've got a parter "www.my_partner.com" - and one of the LA users moved this partner into the category named "My Favourite Link Partners", and the other user put the same partner into the "I Hate This Link Partners" category.

Now they're trying to import (or copy) this partner from one project to another. What shouldLinkAssistant do? Should it simply copy and re-write the data, or perhaps it should ask which one of two different partners (i.e. the same partner with different properties) to leave, or perhaps you'd like to leave some fields (e.g. category and partner description), but re-write all the others (status, partner name, partner email, etc)

Could you tell me your vision of this problem?
I think it would be fine to just keep it simple, especially at first. Proper copy-cut-paste is better than none at all. So I think as a first iteration, paste and overwrite is fine, as a second, paste and prompt to overwrite if duplicate is good or skip, the standard "Overwrite? yes, cancel, all", and anything more complicated after that is just icing.

Display topics from previous:    Sort by    
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]