Keyword Cloud for East Asian languages / Unicode
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]
Asiaplay

Small God

Small God
Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:55 am

Hi there,

Just had the chance to play with this tool and looking great so far :)

One small bug which would be nice if you could fix sometime is that the "keyword cloud" does not work for East Asian languages e.g. Korean, Chinese and Japanese (possibly also not for non-ascii languages such as French tilde / accented characters, but not tested those yet).
i.e. keywords show as boxes (not the actual words in the keywords cloud function, at the bottom under keywords tab)

However, very happy to report that the other features such as report, keywords list etc. all do support languages well.

Cheers, Asiaplay

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:21 am

Hi Asiaplay,
just to make sure... Please check this:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You MUST have one of these East Asian languages set as your major
language in your OS (for example, in Windows you must go to "Control
Panel -> Regional and Language Options" and select, say, "Chinese" as your major language).

As soon as you set Japanese or any other East Asian language as a
default language for your OS, you must restart WebSite Auditor -- it should
be showing Chinese symbols correctly.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In our turn, we'll test the tool here. Thank you for your comments.

Asiaplay

Small God

Small God
Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:21 pm

Hi again,

Thanks for your reply and idea - but this is not the problem...

"Yes" - our set-up is correct and already uses the method you have suggested above
(this is why we are able to successfully enter UTF-8 keywords and search on these at the moment and see characters correctly when inputting the keywords etc.).

As discussed it was ONLY the keyword "cloud map", which is not showing the keywords as UTF-8 correctly (and incorrectly shows the characters as boxes).
In the report and other locations within Website Auditor the keywords are being shown correctly as native text / characters - so ONLY "cloud map" appears to be a problem.
I hope this clarifies the problem more clearly?

Separately, I also had another problem today which I would appreciate some help with - namely I tried to enter an IDN domain name (rather than an ascii domain) e.g. xn--code.com and I got the error telling me the domain url is incorrect!!!
(Please Note: all IDN domains as you probably know start with "xn--")
Can you please check this and let me know if I am doing something incorrect or if this is something which needs to be fixed with an update?

Thanks again - Asiaplay

PS: Actually we now use a lot of IDNs, but I have not actually tested IDN domains in SEO Spyglass, Link Assistant and Rank Tracker yet - can you please also advice if IDN urls will work as the url when I am doing "Search by URL" for these software as well?

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:56 am

Hi Asiaplay,
thank you, we found what caused the East-Asian-symbols problem and it's already fixed. The next update of WebSite Auditor will contain the fix.

As for IDN domains, they're currently not supported by our software and we aren't actually going to support them in the near future, but this task is on our to-do list so sooner or later this feature will be added to our tools i believe.

Thanks for you comments, Asiaplay, you get to the point as ever.

Asiaplay

Small God

Small God
Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:29 am

Hi again,

Thanks for your reply... happy to hear the the cloudmap was an easy fix.

In regards to IDNs - I would have thought that using the punycode version should have not been a problem (as it is essentially the same as an ascii domain) i.e. XN-code.ext
(I can see why putting in native text version would require more work, but not why punnycode would).
Is it possible to just not put up the error message and run when an xn-code.ext domain is entered?

Basically I am sure that in the shorter term any IDN users would be happy to input the XN-code.ext (punnycode) rather than the native version when using your software.

Possible easy fix for now?

Cheers and thanks again - Asiaplay

PS: this rejection of punnycode is effecting our French, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Korean and Chinese domains being able to be used in these tools - is actually quiet a big issue for us (and I am sure others).

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:44 pm

Hi Asiaplay,
sorry for keeping silent for a couple of days.
We're actually preparing a fix to all the tools and I believe it'll be ready in about 2-3 days.

Asiaplay

Small God

Small God
Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:55 pm

Hi Again,

Thanks for your reply... and that's great news that IDNs will very soon be supported - really appreciate this being done so fast... :)

Thanks again and best regards, Asiaplay

Display topics from previous:    Sort by    
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]