Welcome, Guest ( Login | Register )

E-mail settings
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]
ChuckB

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:54 pm

Can you only use a pop3 server for email? Won't that download emails so that they are then unavailable when I check my emails?

I have been trying to set it up with an IMAP setting and it consistently fails. I would much prefer being able to use an IMAP server.

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:46 pm

ChuckB wrote:
Can you only use a pop3 server for email? Won't that download emails so that they are then unavailable when I check my emails?

All Link-Assistant.Com apps are desktop-based, which means that all project data is stored locally on your computer.

As you probably know, the main difference between POP3 and IMAP protocols is that in the first case a POP3 client downloads and stores all the messages on your local machine, while in the second case, IMAP client keeps messages on the server letting you download only the copy of the email.

That's why it's better to use POP3 for desktop-based tools.

ChuckB

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:53 pm

IMAP allows you to download e-mails from the server to your e-mail program the same as POP does. However, the difference is that when you request your e-mail from the server it sends a copy rather than sending the entire e-mail. It keeps a copy of the e-mail on the server while simultaneously keeping a copy on your computer.

This ensures you always have a copy of your emails consistently across various PC's and clients.

If you can do pop3 I am not sure why you cannot do IMAP. I do NOT want to lose any emails

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:29 pm

ChuckB wrote:
IMAP allows you to download e-mails from the server to your e-mail program the same as POP does.

Yes, that's right. IMAP allows you to save all emails on the server and download their copies to your local machine.

ChuckB wrote:
This ensures you always have a copy of your emails consistently across various PC's and clients.

But in fact, setting POP3 protocol the right way also lets you have a copy of your emails on the server. All you need to do is to check "Do not delete messages on your server" box when tweaking the protocol's settings. Thus a POP client will download the emails to your computer and won't delete the messages on the server, so you will be able to download them across various machines.

P.S. Also in the future we are planning to support IMAP protocols as well.

cybersysop

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:24 pm

Quote:
But in fact, setting POP3 protocol the right way also lets you have a copy of your emails on the server. All you need to do is to check "Do not delete messages on your server" box when tweaking the protocol's settings. Thus a POP client will download the emails to your computer and won't delete the messages on the server, so you will be able to download them across various machines.

P.S. Also in the future we are planning to support IMAP protocols as well.

I need to ask, where in your client is the "Do not delete messages on your server" checkbox so I can avoid wiping out my inbox?

Howard
http://www.emcs.net

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:46 pm

cybersysop wrote:
I need to ask, where in your client is the "Do not delete messages on your server" checkbox so I can avoid wiping out my inbox?

This option is enabled in our software by default.

:)

Display topics from previous:    Sort by    
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]