The Only World-Standard SEO Software

SEO and Internet Marketing Forum
Welcome, Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC
Do unreciprocated Outbound Links Hurt rankings ?
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]
scanreg

Small God

Small God
Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:30 pm

After adding sites, I'm noticing that rankings seem to get whacked.

I'm guessing that since the new listings do not yet reciprocate that this hurts the rankings.

Can anyone confirm this ?

I've read where some guys theorize this, but I've never heard from anyone who has directly experienced and confirmed this.

In other words, should the ranking go back up once the new listings reciprocate ?

Or, what if I delete all un-reciprocated links from my link directory? What would that do?

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:11 am

Hello scanreg,
Quote:
After adding sites, I'm noticing that rankings seem to get whacked.

I'm guessing that since the new listings do not yet reciprocate that this hurts the rankings.

Can anyone confirm this?
As for me, the only thing I can confirm is that I've also heard many rumors about such a possible effect, but have never seen this myself (and have never seen a real evidence of such a problem.)

Yes, in theory outgoing links may reduce your PR and bla-bla-bla.... But have anyone heard a story that, say, blog rankings decreased because of placing 10 additional links into its blogroll (thus adding 10 outbound non-reciprocal links)?... No? I haven't heard of this either.

Most probably this is caused by some other problem (from sandbox effect for a new site to direct complaints to Google from your competitors, I don't know) -- I can't even imagine what's the problem without having MUCH more info. If you want to, you can paste the name of your site here, and URL to your links directory, and say how many links did you place last time, and what are these links, and how long ago, and what are your keywords, and how good were your SERPs before for these keywords, plus as many other SEO-related things as you can -- and maybe then I can get more information and explain what's wrong with your rankings. :?

scanreg

Small God

Small God
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:30 pm

I know recip links are important, that's for sure, and LA is totally great, just not sure if there might be fluctuations while waiting for links to get settled

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:07 pm

Quote:
I know recip links are important, that's for sure, and LA is totally great, just not sure if there might be fluctuations while waiting for links to get settled
As you know, Google and friends try to improve thier search every day by changing their algorithms, adding new filters, and even testin results manually.

So, to be honest, I don't know if this could happen to your particular site just because of these links - the only thing I know is that this didn't happen to many people recently (otherwise, Internet would be full of such stories), and this makes me think that there was some other reason for this.

SEO Chester

Senior

Senior
Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:58 pm

As long as your outbound links are pointed to other quality and relevant websites, (especially when they are not linking back), and if these website you link to are considered an authority by search engines on your websites subject this is seen by Google as a positive action from your website and this will actualy gain your website "an extra gold star." :wink:

As long as you dont swamp your inbound links, outbound links do NOT cause harm or any drop in rankings, used correctly they will benefit your search engine optimisation efforts. :D

mireille

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot
Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:30 am

I have read somewhere that reciprocal links are not very valuable that it would be better to have a 3 way link.
Site A gives a link to Site B who links to Site C who links to A.
Everyone gets one link. Much more difficult to arrange and the relevancy may not be as good either. But what I read was that Big G discounts reciprocity.

Display topics from previous:    Sort by    
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]