Welcome, Guest ( Login | Register )

Control of order of links
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]
Steve B

Senior

Senior
Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:52 pm

I would like greater control of the link orders. Basically I want to be able to say which link appears forst and which is last. Some sequencing by number, and then inside of that anything else would do.

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:25 pm

Steve, do you know about the "sortBy" parameter of the "<[FOR_EACH_PARTNER]>" variable?

This is what the Tutorial says:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<[FOR_EACH_PARTNER]> ... <[/FOR_EACH_PARTNER]> - outputs everything which is located between the opening and the closing meta-tags for every partner from the current category/sub-category/...

Possible parameters:

sortBy - specifies the sorting order. Possible values are:
- "domain" (in this case all partners will be processed in alphabetical order by their domains),
- "description" (partners will be processed in alphabetical order by their descriptions),
- "entranceDate" (partners will be ordered by the date when they were included in your project),
- "name" (obviously, partners will be processed in alphabetical order by their names. Besides, the "name" parameter is used by default).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This gives you quite enough flexibility, doesn't it?

Last edited by LinkAssistant on Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve B

Senior

Senior
Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:53 am

I was aware of the sort parameter, but not all the options. Sorting by name and miss using the name field is one option. Thanks

Steve

flemings

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot
Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:26 am

I currently create a status for link partners called "Premium ( )". For partners that give me hits from their link pages I maintain a record of how many hits I get in the "notes" field. I then list them as "Premium (1), Premium (2), etc to Premium (10+). This allows me to figure which are my best and worst linking partners. I would like to be able to give my best linking partners preference in each link category so they show up first before other partners that I do not get any return hits from.
It would be good if I was able to have some other way of sorting them in order to be able to do this.

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:59 pm

Quote:
It would be good if I was able to have some other way of sorting them in order to be able to do this.
All right, David... Unfortunately (as you already possibly know), for now LA doesn't allow you to do exactly what you're asking for.

I suppose we can add such a functionality, but I'd like to hear your opinion on how should we do it better:
d'you think we should simly add additional values to the "sortBy" parameter of the "<[FOR_EACH_PARTNER]>" variable (for example, <[FOR_EACH_PARTNER sortBy="status"]>), or we'd better add a special weight-field where you can enter integer values and then simply sort by this weights?

What do you think, David?

flemings

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot
Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:55 am

Creating a special field where you can enter a "weight integer" sounds the best to me.

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:51 pm

Thank you for your reply

I think we'll do the following: we'll allow users to create their own properties for link partners - thus you'll be able to create a new integer property named "Weight" - after that a new field in the partner's edit dialog will appear and also a new column called "Weight" in the main table.

Of course, you'll be able to sort by any of these newly crated fields...

I believe this should solve the problem.

flemings

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot
Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:44 pm

Great idea. This will make it far more flexible. You guys are the best!
Cheers.

Display topics from previous:    Sort by    
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]