The Only World-Standard SEO Software

SEO and Internet Marketing Forum
Welcome, Guest ( Login | Register )

Comparing the top ten sites returned on a given search engine against a chosen keyword
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]
crazyoval

Small God

Small God
Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:43 am

Hi guys,

I've had Spyglass for a year now and haven't used it as much as Rank Tracker or Link Assistant. I feel it has a lot of potential but one thing I feel blind to still is being able to capture and compare the top ten sites returned by a keyword search on a given search engine.

I've mentioned this as an option within Link Assistant but it is clear this is more suited to Spyglass since Spyglass does a lot of this analysis today although its site focused as opposed to keyword focused over a range of sites.

So my request is less about creating reports on a single site and more about serving up a table of analysis so that a decision can be made about entering a keyword market or not. For example, if the top ten on a given keyword have very high rankings then you know the effort to enter that top ten is going to be hard. From my understanding the analysis would show each site's rankings by the search engine chosen, and an analysis of the chosen keyword within that site (e.g. in header, in bold, density, etc etc)

I think Spyglass could do this through incremental development as opposed to being a completely new app. In that way it would cover off both approaches and Spyglass would offer a highly competitive proposition.

I feel I do need this functionality today and consider that without it I am at a less competitive position. I would appreciate your thoughts on this LA.

Thanks

cyber49

Wizard

Wizard
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:20 pm

This is how I use it exactly, but having to run 10 reports is a pain in the neck. Not to mention that I start having reporting problems due (I'm guessing) to the number of queries from my IP address (I'm actually here at the forum looking for help with proxies) so running 10 competitive domains takes a week!

For niche domains and subjects it's great, but getting 10 reports for a phrase where front page serps have thousands of backlinks becomes "unable to report" or retrieve counts, or unable to get PR, or other prob.

So i'm guessing that anything like this (top 10 comparison) feature would be problematic to add - right?
(I'm posting now for a proxy newbie guide)

crazyoval

Small God

Small God
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:47 pm

The top ten approach, albeit different to the current route of RT, is available with other SEO apps but that is their focus and direction. I appreciate and value the direction of RT to date but I do feel that it is a missed opportunity.

I use RT to search for new markets. I make up a fictitious domain name to start a new project to then search on keywords to find out KEI figures. Across a range of keywords I can then choose which ones are the best for me. SO! I am using RT already as a new market research tool (as opposed to rank tracking) and would love it to be enhanced to add the ability to collect the top 10 or so (against a chosen keyword on a specific search engine) which would enable me to fully evaluate a market before I choose to enter it.

I think this is key for RT personally however that's my personal opinion as a user as opposed to be an SEO software expert.

It will make a significant difference to how the Link_Assistant tool set supports an Internet marketeer from concept to ongoing administration and development. That is a very powerful proposition.

Display topics from previous:    Sort by    
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]