New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]
tipud

Newborn

Newborn
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:50 pm

Hi
I am new to SEO and Powersuite.

My question is basically to find out if ALEXA Ranking is important.
If i was asking potential clients to check their ALEXA Rank and compare to their competitors than i as an 'SEO expert' would have to make their site attain higher ALEXA ranking.
As ALEXA looks at page views / visits if i was to get more visits but less average page views my ranking i assume would go down.

My problem comes down to the clients content if it is of low value will they reach a top level and cannot go beyond that. E.g a client selling socks may get a rank of 500,000 how would i know what sort of level can be reached for this site.

Any sort of guidance would be appreiciated.

Regards

Tipu

LinkAssistant

Site Admin
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:40 pm

I do not think that Alexa Rank is the best way to track a site's success. It does not update very frequently and may be not very representative. You can read more about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexa_Inte ... xa_Toolbar
Quote:
My problem comes down to the clients content if it is of low value will they reach a top level and cannot go beyond that. E.g a client selling socks may get a rank of 500,000 how would i know what sort of level can be reached for this site.
Well, technically a sock-selling site can have brilliant and witty content, contests, link baits etc. and drive a lot of traffic :)

A better way to track your site's success is to track the rankings for your main keywords. If you are in top 3 results for your main keywords then you can be sure you're getting as much traffic as possible from the given search engine and you can look for other ways of getting traffic, ones beyond SEO.

tipud

Newborn

Newborn
Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 pm

One of my sites is ranked 275000.
i had removed (accidently) the 'login to read more' so everyone could read without registering.
My page views shot up but my ALEXA rank was steady even 3 months later.
I have not put the registering thing back on as i am also getting 3 times more hits and growing.

Does anyone tell clients to check their ALEXA rating before taking on SEO work and use this as a result. I mean site A is ranked at 10,000,000 and with SEO work i got you to 3,000,000.

DeadIntoIt

Senior

Senior
Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:29 am

If you are asking a "How to make money online" information and software or script marketer (The one's with the 14 screen long sales pages of 1950's style hype), they will tell you Alexa is VERY important because it was that sector of "Internet Marketers" that first took advantage of the Alexa tool bar and hyped it's use to the un-initiated "Info Marketers" for their own gain.

If you ask someone selling "Real World" products and services, for the most part they don't know about Alexa and don't care. If they were aware of how diluted the Alexa data is because of the heavy use of the Alexa "Tool Bar" (Considered by many including Microsoft - as MalWare), by "Info Marketer" types, and that tool bar tracking where those users go online is a large portion of Alexa's tracking data, they wouldn't want to use Alexa Ranking as any kind of bench mark for their real world product/service site.

However, if you have a client that is hawking some kind of, "The New Magic Secret Key to Making Millions Online the Gurus Don't want you do Know" - product, then your client will probably be VERY interested in Alexa Rankings, because the type of people that use their Tool Bar are the exact market he is interested in selling his product to.

It's like the SEO Power Suite forum moderator said above "I do not think that Alexa Rank is the best way to track a site's success".

But also like I said: It depends on who you're asking.

erntrake

Newborn

Newborn
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:44 am

A lot of SEO's often say that Alexa Rank is extremely important - but to be honest and to be true I have realized by working with many SEO's that this is definitely not true and most of those SEO's totally ignore Alexa Rank and so do I.

Martin Goulding

Newborn

Newborn
Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:58 am

Alexa has it's uses, but has some odd discrepancies one of which is to be skewed by the search habits of those who have it's toolbar installed, which is huge in India, you may know that SEO outsourcing is a home industry in this country. So for instance my own seo forum has a ridiculously low ranking something like 30,000 in India, there are some other features that are worth checking on its output but not the ranking :)

http://seoforum.net.au

Hulbert Lee

Newborn

Newborn
Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:46 am

Quote:
Hi
I am new to SEO and Powersuite.

My question is basically to find out if ALEXA Ranking is important.
If i was asking potential clients to check their ALEXA Rank and compare to their competitors than i as an 'SEO expert' would have to make their site attain higher ALEXA ranking.
As ALEXA looks at page views / visits if i was to get more visits but less average page views my ranking i assume would go down.

Any sort of guidance would be appreiciated.

Regards

Tipu
I wouldn't worry about Alexa ranking so much, as it fluctuates often. Worry about your website's page rank in the SERPs, as that is a more accurate factor for determining the authority of your competition.

stuartr

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot
Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:40 am

As has been mentioned the Alexa toolbar is known and used primarily within certain sectors, demographics and countries due in part to its history. So if your site appeals to people who are likely to have the toolbat installed it *MAY* provide some information that *MIGHT* be of use, but it should never be a primary or significant measure of SEO success.

If your site falls outside of the likely Alexa community, then the information is at best, not that useful, and at worst, misleading.

droliprosty10

Newborn

Newborn
Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:27 pm

A discussion in my forum has prompted this newsletter as I think it is important for any online entrepreneur to understand how Alexa ratings work in order that they can understand why they may not be that important to the success of their online business.Too many people make the mistake of concentrating entirely on improving their Alexa ratings but at the end of the day, these rankings are just numbers - they won't put money in the bank.Alexa is a company owned by the Amazon group and it aims to rank every single website on the Internet in terms of how much traffic it is receiving.Quite simply, the lower your Alexa ranking, the more traffic your website gets. The ideal scenario would be to have an Alexa ranking of '1'. This would mean, in theory, that your website receives more traffic than any other website in the world. Currently this position is held by Yahoo.com and as you would expect, other top sites include Microsoft, Google and eBay.It is generally considered that a website with an Alexa rating of 100,000 or less is receiving a reasonable level of traffic but Alexa can be wildly misleading and very easily manipulated.To understand why the rankings are misleading, you need to understand how Alexa gathers the data that it uses to create the rankings in the first place. This is really very simple - Alexa has a free toolbar that you can download and install within your Internet browser and this reports back to Alexa with the details of every single website that you visit.

Display topics from previous:    Sort by    
New Topic Add Reply
Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]